What an exciting summer it has been! I’m already starting to see signs of “back to school” sales and school supply lists, so we know that the next season is already coming upon us!Speaking of students, one area of ministry here at Ford Street that needs our attention is the children’s and youth ministry programs. Our youth director, Kyndra, sees it as her mission to reach children and youth of Lapel where they are, to extend grace and hospitality, and be there for them through the ups and downs of life. But guess what? She can’t do this all by herself! We as a church need to step up and invest in and encourage our children and youth. What are some ways we can do this?
1) Sign up to bring a meal to youth group. They meet on Sundays from 5-7 pm at Ford Street. I will be hosting youth at the parsonage on July 23, and we are in need of firewood and s’mores supplies. Come and stay awhile!
2) Volunteer your time with the children or youth- get to know our youth, hear their stories, let them share with you what is happening in their lives and the lives of youth in the world today. We are also in need of people to help with Jr. Church on Sunday mornings and with youth group. We have much to learn from our young people.
3) Involve our children and youth in all areas of the church- if you are involved in a particular ministry area, consider inviting the children or youth to participate in what your group is doing. Enable our young people and trust them with responsibility within the life of the church. After all, our future depends on it!
4) Get to know our youth director, Kyndra. She may be reached via email at email@example.com. She would love to hear from you.
5) Read a book with our church leadership called Growing Young, by Kara Powell, Jake Mulder, and Brad Griffin. In it, we are challenged to consider what a “Growing Young” church might look like. We learn that “growing young isn’t about changing youth ministry. It’s about changing church culture.”
There will be more to come. Let’s go about “Growing Young!”
See you soon! Pastor Jill
Rev. Jill Moffett
Lead Pastor, Ford Street UMC